Pro-Yugoslav Montenegrins Oppose German WWII Cemetery


sds.jpg
Around 200 activists from a group calling itself the Consulate of the Socialist Federative Republic of Yugoslavia staged a protest on Thursday near the military airport in the capital Podgorica where the authorities plan to build the German cemetery.

They complained that the plan was humiliating for Montenegro and belittled its anti-fascist traditions.
In 2011, Berlin and Podgorica signed an agreement on burying the remains of the German troops killed in Montenegro during World War II.
A site containing more than 400 bodies was excavated in Podgorica in 2007. Since the discovery of the bodies by construction workers, the remains have been kept at a Roman Catholic community house near the capital.  
Around 2,000 German soldiers believed to have been killed in Montenegro during the war are still officially considered missing.
But the Consulate of the Socialist Federative Republic of Yugoslavia has asked the country’s constitutional court to review the legality of the agreement between Montenegro and Germany.
Its leader, Marko Perkovic, said that he wanted to prevent Montenegro from being be “hit by a wave of fascism”.
He said that Montenegrin troops would be offended if they were asked to oversee the graves of former Nazi troops at the military airport.
“Montenegrins won’t guard the dead fascists,” Perkovic said.
The Consulate is a non-government organisation based in the coastal town of Tivat, where it has opened a museum of the former Yugoslavia in which visitors can see memorabilia from the former regime and some of the uniforms and vehicles owned by Yugoslav leader Josip Broz Tito.
It has also issued commemorative former Yugoslav ‘passports’. Nearly 5,000 people have requested them so far, Balkan Insight reports.
Pro-Yugoslav Montenegrins Oppose German WWII Cemetery Pro-Yugoslav Montenegrins Oppose German WWII Cemetery Friday, May 16, 2014 Rating: 5
Powered by Blogger.